Monday, May 20, 2013

Som um brazileiro!

Oi!!! Well, this was my first week in Brazil and it is so awesome!!! First of all let me tell you about my first day! We arrived in São Paulo and I got off the airplane and heard people speaking Português... could understand a word here and there... yep...  haha. But then we flew to Porto Alegre and I got off the airplane... and I really couldnt understand a word!!! The accents in Porto Alegre are soooooo weiirrrrd!!!! Very Italian sounding, but I couldnt understand anything!!! We went to meet our mission president, Persident Castro and he speaks Spanish and Português but not English! So that was kinda exciting! He spoke really slow for me!
 
I met my companion, Elder Menezes and he is very cool! He is from São Paulo and speaks very very little English, so he is helping me learn Português pretty quick! We got on a bus and drove to our area which is in a town about 4 hours South of Porto Alegre called Capão do Leão! Its like a little farm town that is pretty poor, but is beautiful! Sometimes I feel like I am in a jungle in Brazil, and other times I feel like Im on some farm in Poland or Germany or something! I would say a majority of the people here a white so it is an interesting combination! Also, horses and cows just chill on the roads eating grass and walking around and whatnot! I live just outside of the city Pelotas in a bario called Jardim America, and it is well... Pretty poor. Dirt roads, tiny houses and whatnot. Connor and Carson, it looks alot like that map on modern warfare called favella er something. But its okay! I love it! We take a bus and walk everywhere but I dont mind!
 
The ward is awesome too! Its crazy because they are so poor but so generous! The other night the bishop fed us churrasco and chimarrão! The churrasco is amazing and the chimarraõ you hav to get used to... But I actually like it! Its like grass/hay with hot water. Its weird... But we eat feijão and arroz every single day! (Beans and Rice) And I love it!!!
 
Um a few other things, it is soooo cold and everone says it gets colder! Its colder here then in Porto Alegre! So, I had to buy a jacket as you probably noticed mom and dad. It was a bit expensive but ti was either buy an expensive jacket that I didnt like or buy a little more expensive jacket tht I did like!
 
My Portugues is getting a little better, just give me a few weeks! But I love you all! I will update more next week! Im glad to hear all is well at home! I also need to send my pictures in a powerpoint or otherwise it goes too slow!




No comments:

Post a Comment